Wednesday 25 January 2012

Paris holds the key to my heart

For my lovely blog today I am choosing option 2 which is If you could do your monument analysis somewhere else where would it be and why. That is so easy for me. I went to France in 2009 and the thing that interested me the most was the catacombs. I will admit that I was extremely frightened the deeper I got into the underground and I had no idea what to expect at the time. But, when we finally started walking through I was amazed. We weren't supposed to touch the bones, but how could you not. These bones were from the 18th century. When else would I ever have been able to say I did that. Plus there was so much interesting history around looting and people that hung around down there. I did not expect it to be the most fascinating thing about my trip, but it truly was. As soon as I got a tourist booklet describing the history of the catacombs, I wouldn't put it down. France was my first time leaving North America and it was amazing to see history that was so old. When I back to school, all the kids who went to France got to tell everyone their favourite part of the trip. It's probably pretty obvious what I talked about. I think a big part of my fascination was the signs in the catacombs. Especially the one I put in this blog that says "Believe everyday is your last". They really give you the shivers. I would absolutely say that I would pick the catacombs to do my monument analysis on because it was something that I was fascinated with before I even really understood Anthropology.


This is the video my friend took of us in France. I don't suggest you watch all of it (it's about an hour and a bit long), but go to 26 minutes and you'll see us all going into the catacombs. One of the coolest experiences I have ever had. I apologize I couldn't embed it directly onto the page. It wouldn't let me. Click here to see the video. 








Picture cited: http://www.po-ferries-uk.co.uk/blog/po-ferries/city-of-bones-the-paris-catacombs/

No comments:

Post a Comment